Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum | Homeschool Field Trip
We recently hit to road to visit one of our favorite annual homeschool field trip destinations, the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Chantilly Virginia. Most Americans have heard of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum located in Washington DC. However did you know the DC location only houses about 10% of the Smithsonian’s vast collection of space shuttles, air planes, rockets, and more? A few years ago the Smithsonian opened a 2nd location right by Dulles Airport. This is our favorite Air and Space Museum!
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
Additional facts you might want to know to plan your own homeschool field trip to this location:
- FREE Admission (I only pay $15 for parking)
- Houses the other 90% of the Smithsonian’s Space and Aircraft collection
- Features a huge warehouse experience complete with actual space shuttles and more
- Additionally features an airplane look out tower to watch real aircraft take off and land at Dulles Airport
- This location hosts a McDonalds, although it is pricy. We usually pack and lunch or eat at cheaply at another locations dollar menu.
- Here’s additional details of the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center location.
From Instagram, “Getting our #homeschool #largefamily lunches packed ahead for our out of town #fieldtrip tomorrow. So far it’s just our standard PBJs, and little cereal snack bags. I plan to swing by a store in the morning for a case of water, apples, clementines, and probably a cookie treat (#goodmom 😂). What do you like to pack for long field trip adventure days?”
Homeschool Field Trip
Here’s our homeschool family vlog of our (cold!) day at the air and space museum.
Click here to watch the full Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum | Homeschool Field Trip!