(for moms who have trouble finishing a cup of coffee!)
– Play an audio bible in your home. This is a great way to get the word in you while you’re serving your family. It not only builds mom up, it encourages the entire household and promotes a spirit of peace. We do this often during family mealtime and/or let it free play during our day. Free Audio Bible Download
– Play worship music of whatever style speaks to your spirit. Many times while our worship music is playing, I’ll feel hugged all over by God, like a giant squeeze from heaven. I can be in the middle of a anything and a “God hug” will encourage me. It is also a fun time to sing and dance with the little ones, making their “joyful noise.”
– Play your favorite bible teacher on “repeat.” With this great and wonderful internet we can tap into our favorite Bible teachers 24/7. I’ll find myself involved in a simple task when the Holy Spirit speaks some nugget of truth to me through a teaching I’m listening to.
– Leave a good Christian book accessible. Currently, I have one on the kitchen table. As able, I sneak read a page or two. Sometimes I’ll get a surprise and finish a chapter in one sitting. (This is a big deal for a busy & blessed mom.)
– Read the bible with your children. This is another way I get more word in me, while building up our children’s spirits. Our oldest boys are almost 8 & 11, so they’re reading their bibles everyday by themselves. However, the bible isn’t just another book to read. In our house, afternoons are for literature read alouds. However, before we dive into another good book, we spend time in God’s word. I can’t tell you how many times the Holy Spirit takes over and leads us down a wonderful road discussing God’s word and talking about Jesus. It truly is a priceless part of our day.
– Read your bible. I know, preaching to the choir, right. However, we moms need to make time for Gods word daily. I’ll be the first to admit that there have been days & weeks (dare I say months) where I have trouble doing this. Ask Jesus to show you when the best time of your day is to spend in his word. What has helped me tremendously is having my bible on my phone, which with all this modern technology is available to must people. I may not carry a bible in my pocket everywhere I go but I cannot leave the house, or a room, without my phone. With YouVersion, I’m able to pick a reading plan, version, commentaries and so on. Praise God for using technology for our spiritual advantage!
– Grab a POWER VERSE! I always try to have a bible verse that I’m working on. As I meditate on it, because God’s word is alive (Hebrews 4:12), it speaks deep truths to me. I can take my power verse anywhere. If I’m changing a diaper, teaching a math lesson or handling a squabble, I can be engaged in contemplation and reflection of my own special message from God. Not long ago the Lord exploded in me Galatians 2:20. I printed it out and hung it at our kitchen table and in the bathroom, two places no one can escape from going. I’ve been saying over and over again in my mind “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” If my mind is full of God’s word, then there’s no room for any “junk” that tries to wiggle in. If I find myself with a bad attitude, a wrong heart, or negative emotions, nine times out of ten it’s because I don’t have a verse that I’m chewing on. This mental spiritual warfare and the power of meditating on Gods word is life changing and something any busy mom can do. You can find free power verse printables along with my free 31-day Bible reading plan for moms under my freebies & printables.
– Pray. Prayer changes things. ASK Jesus to give YOU creative ways to walk with him through out the day. The bible tells us to “pray without ceasing,” 1 Thessalonians 5:17 and we all need a good reminder to do just that. Never forget the simple, and oh’ so effective, “help me Jesus” prayer. It works every time. It goes like this:
“HELP. ME. JESUS. AMEN.” Or, one of my favorites, Help me, Jesus, not freak out.
– Watch TV. Yes, that’s what I said. Record good Christian programming and have a “Jesus TV break.” I have Christ-centered programming set to DVR. Sometimes we’ll take our lunch to the living room & watch one of our favorites while we eat. This is something we’re able to do more in the winter months.
Now, go put that cold coffee in the microwave and get back to your day.