If you’re a fan of cabbage and on a keto diet, here is an easy Cabbage Lasagna for the freezer or tonight’s dinner. This large family recipe makes four pans of this keto lasagna recipe. This low-carb cabbage lasagna freezes and reheats beautifully and is a great way to feed the whole family.
Healthy Cabbage Lasagna Freezer Meal
Indulging in this healthy low carb cabbage lasagna freezer meal is a win-win, especially if you’re on the keto plan or seeking low-carb options. This delicious lasagna swaps traditional pasta layers for a nutritious layer of cabbage leaves, creating a flavorful and satisfying low-carb cabbage lasagna.
Preparing this freezer-friendly delight means you can have a delicious, guilt-free meal ready whenever you need it, with the added bonus of benefiting from its keto-friendly and low-carb attributes.
How to Make Cabbage Lasagna
Follow these easy steps to make your very own keto cabbage lasagna using a large head of cabbage or two small cabbages.
1. For the lasagna cheese mixture:
- Mix four 32 oz containers of ricotta cheese, 10 large eggs, 4 cups of parmesan cheese, 2 Tbs garlic powder, and 2 Tbs onion powder together in a large mixing bowl.
2. For the quick and easy meat sauce:
I have recipes for big-batch spaghetti sauce in the instant pot or slow cooker using tomato paste and tomato sauce. On this freezer cooking day, I went even simpler.
- Cook, drain, and crumble 10 lbs of ground beef in a large skillet on medium heat
- Combined 10 lbs of precooked ground beef mentioned above and a big 108 oz can of sugar-free spaghetti sauce. Mix together completely the red sauce and meat mixture.
3. Prepare cabbage “noodles” instead of lasagna noodles for this pasta-free lasagna recipe:
- Gently peel the large leaves of two cabbages into a large bowl.
- Rinse cabbage leaves.
- Place in a large stockpot and cover with water.
- Bring to a gentle boil
- Drain cabbage “noodles” and let cool in the colander while you prepare other ingredients.
4. Construct each 9×13 baking dish for the layering of cabbage, meat, and cheese:
- Pour two cups of meat sauce in the bottom of the dish. Spread out as needed to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Spread out a layer of precooked cabbage leaves to cover the pasta sauce.
- Gently spread out two cups of ricotta layer on top of the cabbage leaves layer.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese.
5. Next layers:
- Pour two cups of meat mixture and gently spread out.
- Spread out a layer of precooked cabbage leaves to cover the sauce.
- Gently spread out two cups of ricotta cheese on top of the cabbage leaves layer onto the whole dish.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat to complete the 3rd layer. Top lasagna with shredded cheese.
6. Bake the Large Family Cabbage Lasagna now place in preheated oven at 375 degrees for a total time of 30 minutes or until heated through and hot and bubbly.
Ingredients Needed for this Keto Cabbage Lasagna Recipe
Total ingredients for making 4 deep dish pans of low-carb cabbage lasagnas:
- Two Heads of green cabbage for the cabbage mixture
- 10 lbs cooked ground beef, ground meat, ground turkey, or sausage meat
- 4 – 32 oz containers of ricotta cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 108 oz sugar-free spaghetti sauce (Walmart tomato sauce)
- 4 cups parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs garlic powder or garlic cloves
- 2 Tbs onion powder or a yellow onion
- 20 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (you’ll use 5 cups in each cabbage lasagna)
- black pepper
- teaspoon salt
Other optional ingredients that would taste delicious in this comforting meal are:
- fresh tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- red pepper flakes (if you want to add some kick)
- creamed mushrooms (you can use a can of cream of mushroom, but that may not keep the recipe keto)
- extra vegetables
- you can use lean ground beef if you prefer
Cooking Tips and Tricks
By following these tips, you’ll create a delicious and wholesome cabbage lasagna that’s both flavorful and visually appealing, all while keeping it low-carb and keto-friendly.
- Consider adding a bit more sauce than usual to your cabbage lasagna to ensure the leaves remain moist and flavorful during baking.
- Allow the cabbage lasagna to rest for a few minutes after baking before slicing. This lets the layers set and makes it easier to serve.
- You will not need a food processor for this recipe.
- Be sure to add this unique recipe to your regular meal plan.
Top Tips for Cooking the Cabbage Leaves
Cooking a cabbage head for cabbage lasagna can be a breeze with these tips and tricks:
- Before blanching in boiling water, carefully cut out the tough core with a paring knife from the bottom of the cabbage to help separate the leaves more easily.
- Blanch the whole cabbage leaves in 6 cups of water, boiling them for about 2-3 minutes. This will soften the leaves and make them pliable for your lasagna layers.
- Gently peel off the softened cabbage leaves one by one after blanching. If some leaves are still a bit tough, you can put them back in the large pot of salted water for an additional minute.
- After blanching, plunge the whole cabbage leaves into ice-cold water to quickly cool them down. This halts the cooking process and helps to maintain their vibrant green color. Once cooled, pat them dry with paper towels or lay them on a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess water.
- Trim any large or tough veins from the leaves, especially the thicker parts near the base, to ensure that they’re easy to roll and eat.
- For the best coverage, slightly overlap the leaves as you layer them. This will create a solid base for your lasagna and prevent the filling from seeping through.
- You can blanch and prepare the cabbage leaves ahead of time. After blanching, plunge them into ice water, drain, and pat dry. Then, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions About Cabbage Lasagna
These are the most often-asked questions about making this yummy cabbage lasagna recipe.
Can you freeze cabbage lasagna?
Freezing cabbage lasagna is a convenient way to have a delicious meal ready when you need it. Here’s how to do it:
- Assemble the Lasagna: Prepare your cabbage lasagna as instructed.
- Do not bake the lasagna before freezing. You’ll be freezing it in its unbaked state.
- Allow the assembled cabbage lasagna to cool down to room temperature. This helps prevent condensation from forming inside the container during freezing.
- Wrap the lasagna tightly with plastic wrap, ensuring it’s well-covered to prevent freezer burn. Then, cover it with a layer of aluminum foil for extra protection.
- Use a marker to label the package with the name of the dish and the date you’re freezing it. This helps you keep track of how long it’s been in the freezer.
- Place the wrapped and labeled lasagna in the freezer for next time. Do not stack the pans on top of one another until each pan is individually frozen
What can you serve with low-carb cabbage lasagna?
Salad is a great option to serve with low-carb cabbage lasagna. You can also make garlicky green beans and tomatoes, sheet pan roasted broccoli, low-carb no-bake cookies, or cauliflower au gratin with bacon.
What is the best cheese to use with this cabbage lasagna recipe?
Ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella are the best cheeses to use with cabbage lasagna. However, you can also use or add cream cheese or cottage cheese.
How can you store leftover cabbage lasagna?
The best way to store cabbage lasagna is in the fridge in an air-tight container if you plan to eat it within three days. Otherwise, I suggest you freeze this meal with the instructions provided.
How do you reheat cabbage lasagna?
- When you’re ready to enjoy the frozen cabbage lasagna, transfer it to the refrigerator to thaw. This typically takes about 24-48 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove all but one layer of foil.
- Cook for one hour or until hot and bubbly.
- Check Doneness: Ensure that the lasagna is heated all the way through before serving. Use a food thermometer to make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Serve and Enjoy the finished product: Once the cabbage lasagna is thoroughly heated, slice and serve it as you would with a freshly made dish.
More Keto and Low-Carb Recipes for Your Large Family
Here are more keto and low-carb recipes to make for your large family.
- The Best Low-Carb Chilli Dog Recipe
- Low-Carb Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
- Low-Carb Simple Sub Bowls
- Beef and Broccoli Keto Recipe
******Use Coupon Code HELLO20 to take 20% off the SUPER MEGA EXTRAVAGANZA BUNDLE which includes 50+ mealtime sanity-saving products like Big Batch Freezer Meal Guides 1-18!!!******
If you are looking for more Low-Carb Meals, try my Low-Carb Casseroles Dinners & Freezer Meals Bundle. Inside, you’ll find 10 delicious, low-carb style casserole recipes and two choices of complete grocery lists (shop for 20 meals or shop for 10 meals). Each recipe will make TWO 9×13 casseroles –one to eat right away, and one to put in your freezer for a later date.