Make a sweet breakfast that will taste more like dessert with these delicious Large Family Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Icing. If you love red velvet cake, these pancakes will quickly become a favorite in your household!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 to 4 tablespoons red liquid food coloring
- Cream cheese frosting, if desired
- Powdered Sugar, if desired
Preheat the griddle to 350 degrees.
Using a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, powdered sugar, cocoa, baking powder, salt and sugar.
Using a smaller bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and red food coloring.
Gradually mix the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not mix the batter until completely smooth, your pancakes will not be tender.
Pour ¼ cup batter onto the prepared griddle or skillet, cooking until bubbles cover the top of the pancake and the edge looks dry and cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the pancake and continue to cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from the griddle and keep warm.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, combine the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla, stirring until well blended. Stir in the powdered sugar and then add the milk a little at a time until reaching the desired consistency.
Serve with the cream cheese frosting and/or garnish the top of the pancakes with powdered sugar if desired.
Keywords: Large Family Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Icing for Topping