Slow cooker yogurt is an easy and frugal alternative to store bought.
1 gallon whole milk
1 cup plain yogurt
- Place 1 gallon of whole milk in the slow cooker on the low setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. You want the yogurt to reach a temperature of 180°.
- After Yogurt reaches 180, unplug the crockpot and let it sit for another 3 hours or so.
- After 3 hours, whisk in 1 cup of plain vanilla yogurt.
- Wrap the Crockpot with a towel and let it sit (still unplugged) for 8 to 12 hours. For me, it always depends on when I’m able to head to bed and get up the next morning. Sometimes I’m not able to get right back to the yogurt when we wake up, and it still sits until after breakfast is finished.
- Once the yogurt is complete you can drain off the whey using the cheesecloth method I show in the video.
- Add honey or your favorite sweetener to your yogurt!