Classic, simple, and easy homemade Tuna Noodle Casserole – perfect for now or as freezer meals for later.
HOMEMADE TUNA SAUCE
- 2 1/2 cups of Tuna “Juice” (The drained liquid from cans of tuna. I drained 80 oz of Tuna for this recipe. )
- 7 cups of chicken broth
- (Optional) 4 cups of water (I like to stretch things. As I mentioned in this video I wanted to make a full pot.)
- 3 cups of butter
- 2 cups of flour
- 1-5 oz can of Tuna Meat
TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE FREEZER MEAL
- 80 oz of Tuna
- Homemade Cream of Tuna Recipe or 4 Family Size Cans of Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 4 – 16 oz boxes of Ziti Noodles
- 5 cans of sliced carrots
- 5 cans of peas
- 4 cups of preferred shredded cheese (Cheddar, Mozzarella, Colby blend, or cheese of your choice)
HOMEMADE TUNA SAUCE DIRECTIONS
- Melt 3 cups of butter over medium heat in sauce pan, stirring constantly.
- Quickly add in 2 1/2 cups of Tuna “Juice” and 7 cups of chicken broth, then 2 cup flour
- Stir constantly for 3-5 minutes
- Stir in one 5 oz can of Tuna Meat
- *At this point in my freezer cooking video I added in 4 cups of water to stretch my Cream of Tuna further. You can go for this step or omit it. I wanted my Cream of Tuna a little thinner so I could stretch it for as many casseroles as possible. *
- At the end of the 3-5 minutes, you’ll have a Cream of Tuna that’s perfect for Tuna Noodle Casserole!
TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE FREEZER MEAL DIRECTIONS
- Cook noodles according to directions on package.
- After draining noodles rinse with cool water to prevent further cooking.
- CONSTRUCTING TUNA NOODLE FREEZER MEALS
- Set out 4 to 5 9×13 baking pans.
- In large stock pot or huge mixing bowl gently stir together homemade Cream of Tuna sauce, remaining 75 oz of drained tuna, 5 cans of drained sliced carrots, 5 cans of drained peas, and 4 lbs of drained cooked noodles. Fill each 9×13 baking pan approximately 3/4 full of Tuna Noodle mixture. Top each 9×13 pan with one cup of shredded cheese of your choice or additional topping.
FREEZER MEAL DIRECTIONS
- Allow your meals to cool completely before placing in the freezer.
- Wrap each 9×13 pan with two layers of foil.
- Label the top of each pan with recipe name and date.
- Wrap each 9×13 pan with a layer of plastic wrap.
- Set each pan to freeze in the freezer. Do not stack the pans on top of one another until each pan is individually frozen.
THAWED COOKING DIRECTIONS
- Set the desired pans of Tuna Noodle out in the refrigerator the evening before you’d like to serve.
- Preheat your oven to 375 (oven times may vary).
- Remove plastic wrap and one layer of foil.
- Place Tuna Noodle in preheated oven for 1 hour or until bubbly and hot. Remove last layer of foil and allow to cook for 10 additional minutes.
- Allow your hot Tuna Noodle to slightly cool on counter for 5-10 minutes before serving.
FROZEN COOKING DIRECTIONS
- If cooking your Tuna Noodle from completely frozen (this happens in real life :), remove plastic wrap and one layer of foil and place frozen Tuna Noodle in preheated oven at 400 (oven temps may vary). Cook for up to 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until hot and bubbly. Remove last layer of foil and cook uncovered an additional 10 minutes as needed.
- Serving Size: 48
- Calories: 398
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 243
- Fat: 17
- Saturated Fat: 10
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 38
- Protein: 22
- Cholesterol: 63