Enjoy this tasty recipe for homemade Stand Mixer French Bread!
- 2 packages (4 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 7 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Rinse your mixing bowl in hot water to warm it, dry completely. Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the 2 1/2 cups warm water in the bowl.
- Add the salt, butter, and flour. Using the dough hook, mix at low speed for about 3 minutes.
- Pour olive oil over the dough, turning once or twice to coat. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Punch dough down and divide in half.
- Place half of the dough on a well-floured surface and roll into a rectangle (about 12 inches by 15 inches) and then roll the dough tightly from the longest side as if making a jelly roll. Taper towards the ends. Repeat with other half of dough.
- Dust baking sheets with cornmeal and place loaves on baking sheets. Cover and allow to rise again until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- With a serrated knife, make slits diagonally across each loaf. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Mix together the egg white and cold water. Brush over the loaves and then return to oven for 5 minutes longer. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wired racks.