Instant Pot Dr Pepper Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Do you love pulled chicken? Even if you enjoy it, you probably haven’t had it like this before! You’re only going to need three ingredients for this great recipe. It will make flavorful, moist chicken that melts in your mouth and tastes great on its own or when added to homemade bread.
You can put it on a kaiser roll, hoagie roll, dinner roll, potato bread, or even traditional sandwich bread before serving it and enjoying it. Make a meal that you know your family will love with this stress-free recipe.
How to Make Instant Pot Dr. Pepper Chicken
This Dr. Pepper Chicken Instant Pot Recipe is so easy to make and your whole family will be asking for more. It is a great meal to whip up on a busy day, and would be a huge hit for a game day.
- Pour 1/2 cup of Dr. Pepper into the pot of the electric pressure cooker. Place the chicken thighs over the Dr. Pepper.
- Stir together the remaining Dr. Pepper and barbecue sauce together in a small bowl. Pour over the chicken thighs.
- Cover the electric pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing. Choose the manual button or “pressure cook” for 20 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, allow the electric pressure cooker to natural release the pressure for 10 minutes before a quick release of the remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the pot and using a slotted spoon, or two forks, shred the chicken, removing any bones.
- Place the chicken in a serving bowl and add about 1 cup of the sauce from the pot to the chicken, coating the chicken but not making it soupy. This is the meat you will use to make your chicken sandwich with.
How to Make the Dr. Pepper Marinade
This amazing recipe is so simple to make. Use 1/2 cup of Dr. Pepper and one 18 ounce bottle of barbecue sauce. Whisk it all together in a small bowl.
This is the marinade sauce that you will pour over your chicken thighs. As it heats up it will get nice and carnalized and bubbly.
Ingredients you’ll need to make Dr. Pepper Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
If you want to make an easy weeknight meal, this is the perfect recipe. You’re only going to need the following three simple ingredients:
- Chicken Thighs. Grab a large pack of skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. You should have about four pounds of meat.
- Sweet Barbecue Sauce. Grab an 18-ounce bottle of sweet barbecue sauce like Sweet Baby Rays. This will add amazing flavor to the chicken.
- 1 Can Dr. Pepper. You’ll need a cup of Dr. Pepper that you’ll divide and add to your chicken while preparing it. You won’t even need to use the whole can.
It’s that simple! With these three ingredients, you can make a tasty meal for the entire family.
Can I use chicken breasts for this recipe?
While you can use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, the chicken thighs tend to have more flavor. If you want to make sure your chicken is as moist and delicious as possible stick with the thighs.
If you already have frozen chicken breasts or chicken pieces, those will work just fine.
What flavors are in Dr. Pepper Chicken?
You may think that Dr, Pepper Chicken would be very sweet, but it has some surprisingly different flavors. Depending on the favorite bbq sauce that you use, you may taste some bold flavors with a little spice that is muted a bit by the soda.
The most classic flavors will taste are brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and even black pepper.
Is It OK to use Diet Dr. Pepper in this recipe?
Yes, if you don’t want to use traditional Dr. Pepper, feel free to use Diet Dr. Pepper. It’s going to provide you with that same great taste that the traditional version would, but without the calories!
What should I serve with the Dr. Pepper Pulled Chicken?
You can keep it simple and serve it with bags of potato chips and a side of fruit for a super easy meal.
How do I store Dr. Pepper Pulled Chicken?
Store the Dr. Pepper Pulled Chicken in a food storage container or Ziploc bags and place it in the fridge to keep it fresh for a maximum of four days.
You can easily reheat the chicken in the microwave. If you want to save it a bit longer, you can store the chicken in the freezer for an easy freezer meal. It should stay fresh when frozen for up to three months.
Here are more large family chicken recipes
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken
- Chicken and Green Beans Casserole
- Cajun Style Pot Roast
- General Tso Chicken
- Low-Carb Spicy Garlic Chicken and Broccoli
🎉 Use Coupon Code HELLO20 to take 20% off the SUPER MEGA EXTRAVAGANZA BUNDLE which includes 50+ meal-time sanity-saving products like Big Batch Freezer Meal Guides 1-18!!! 🎉
Do You Have More Instant Pot Recipes?
Did you enjoy this electric pressure cooker meal? Because I have a ton more recipes in my shop! Check out my Large Family Delightful and Abundant 4-Week Electric Pressure Cooker Meal Plan Pack One, and the Large Family Filling and Wholesome 4-Week Electric Pressure Cooker Pack Two.
Or make it easy on your budget and time and grab the DOUBLE BUNDLE that includes both Electric Pressure Cooker Packs packs one and two!
FREE Emergency Pantry Planning Pack!
Don’t forget to sign up for the emergency pantry planning pack for free to help you plan your pantry meals! The free Emergency Pantry Planning Pack will help you plan your needed pantry items! Printable pages include pantry inventory, grocery lists, meal planners, list of pantry staple items, and more.
Make flavorful chicken that falls apart with this easy Big Family Instant Pot Dr. Pepper Pulled Chicken Sandwiches recipe. The chicken melts in your mouth and tastes great on all kinds of bread!
- 2 family pack (about 8 pounds) skinless chicken thighs
- 2 (18 ounce) bottle sweet barbecue sauce
- 2 cups Dr. Pepper, divided
Pour 1/2 cup of Dr. Pepper into the pot of the electric pressure cooker. Place the chicken thighs over the Dr. Pepper.
Stir together the remaining Dr. Pepper and barbecue sauce. Pour over the chicken thighs.
Cover the electric pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing. Program for manual or “pressure cook” for 20 minutes.
When the cooking cycle is complete, allow the electric pressure cooker to naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes before a quick release of the remaining pressure.
Carefully remove the chicken from the pot and using two forks, shred the chicken, removing any bones.
Add about 1 cup of the sauce from the pot to the chicken, coating the chicken but not making it soupy.
Serve with baked potatoes, buns, sliders, or as it is.
Keywords: Big Family Instant Pot Dr. Pepper Pulled Chicken Sandwiches