Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole
Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole is a favorite around here. I make it once a month, of course making enough to have it for dinner twice. You can switch it up and make it work for you. This is a super simple bake that you can pull together at the last minute if need be. Or you can make several panfuls for future freezer meals.
I like to get my rice done in the slow cooker and my chicken cooked ahead of time. This way I can mix it all together and shove it in the oven well before dinner. However, on this particular day when I filmed I didn’t have anything cooked ahead of time. It still came together great in a time crunch!
Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole Recipe
This recipe makes 4 to 5 9×13 pans.
- Precook 4 cups of brown rice any way you can. Cook it in the slow cooker, rice maker, boil it on the stove, the point is however you can get it done! 4 cups of raw rice ends up being about 8 cups of cooked rice. I just love things that double in volume!
- Precook up to 4 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast. You can also use chicken thighs, or chicken peeled right from the bone.
- Precook 4 cups of homemade cream of chicken soup. Of course, total GRACE if all you can do is pop open two cans of the store bought stuff. We’re all doing the best we can! I have full directions on making Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup in this post.
- Mix together 8 cups of cooked brown rice, 4 cups cream of chicken soup, 24 oz steamed broccoli (I used the steam broccoli packs from Aldi), 5 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, and up to 4 lbs precooked boneless/skinless chicken breast in a large bowl. You can also add-in 1 to 2 cups of sour cream if you’d like. I didn’t do that in today’s video, only because I was out.
- Once everything is mixed together just fill your casserole dishes with the yummy mixture. Sprinkle a handful of shredded cheese on top of each casserole.
- Place your casseroles in your preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Once your Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole is complete let it stand on your stove or counter to cool slightly before serving. The cheese will be hot, but it will be wonderful!
- Serve your Chicken, Broccoli, Rice, Casserole by itself, or add-in salad or other veggie side items (corn on the cob goes well with this!)
- Allow your meals to cool completely before placing in the freezer.
- Wrap each 9×13 pan with two layers of foil.
- Label the top of each pan with recipe name and date.
- Wrap each 9×13 pan with a layer of plastic wrap.
- Set each pan to freeze in the freezer. Do not stack the pans on top of one another until each pan is individually frozen.
- Set the desired pans of Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole out in the refrigerator the evening before you’d like to serve.
- Preheat your oven to 375 (oven times may vary).
- Remove plastic wrap and one layer of foil.
- Place Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole in preheated oven for 1 hour or until bubbly and hot. Remove the last layer of foil and allow to cook for ten additional minutes.
- Allow your hot Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole to slightly cool on counter for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- If cooking your Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole from completely frozen (this happens in real life :), remove plastic wrap and one layer of foil and place frozen Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole in preheated oven at 400 (oven temps may vary). Cook for up to 1 1/2 hours or until hot and bubbly. Remove the last layer of foil and cook uncovered an additional 10 minutes as needed.
Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole
All Big Family Recipes (including Beans, Rice, and Cornbread 🙂
Everything Trim Healthy Mama my tips and slow and steady journey
And finally everything in My Kitchen – updated weekly
Let me know how this freezer meal recipe works out for you. I’d love to hear what you’re making!
Family Meal Planner Collection | Weekly, Bi-Weekly, & Monthly Meal Planners + More!
Help meal time go smoothly at your house with the free family meal planner collection!
Enjoy this set of beautiful weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly meal planners. Also included are bonus grocery shopping lists and helpful recipe cards.