Shepherd’s Pie Freezer Meal Recipe | Large Family Dinners
I’ve been threatening to make up several pans of this Shepherd’s Pie Freezer Meal Recipe over my last several large family freezer cooking days. Well, I finally got it done during day two of my most recent freezer cooking. I was so good. I think we ate all four pans in the first two weeks, whereas other freezer meals I stretch over 4 to 6 weeks. That just wasn’t so with this Shepherd’s Pie for the Freezer!
Below you’ll find directions for whipping up four pans of Shepherd’s Pie. The single pan directions are below as well. However, you’re going to want at least four pans for your freezer!Print
Shepherd’s pie was named for the men who cared for the lambs who provided the meat for the dish. When using beef, it is sometimes called Cottage pie. But whatever you call it, it is yummy and you should make it!
For each 9×13 pan you’ll need the following:
3 cups cooked ground beef
2 cups frozen mixed veggies
6 cups prepared mashed potatoes
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Layer cooked ground beef in bottom of a casserole dish or baking pan.
Spread frozen mixed veggies over meat. (Use whatever veggies you have or that your family likes.)
Spread mashed potatoes over the top of the veggies, all the way to the edge of the pan.
Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Allow your meals to cool completely before placing in the freezer.
- Wrap each 9×13 pan with two layers of foil.
- Label the top of each pan with recipe name and date.
- Wrap each 9×13 pan with a layer of plastic wrap.
- Set each pan to freeze in the freezer. Do not stack the pans on top of one another until each pan is individually frozen.
- Set the desired pans of Shepherd’s Pie out in the refrigerator the evening before you’d like to serve them.
- Preheat your oven to 375 (oven times may vary).
- Remove plastic wrap and one layer of foil.
- Place in preheated oven for 1 hour or until heated through.
- Remove foil the last few minutes to toast the top if desired.
To make four 9×13 pans total-
- 8 lbs precooked ground beef
- 12 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 24 cups mashed potatoes
- 12 cups shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Freeze and bake as directed.
This yummy Shepherd’s Pie Freezer Meal Recipe is one of the 27+ Big Family Meals included in day two of my latest freezer cooking day. Let me know how you like it!