On my big freezer meal prep day, I cooked up 40+ lbs of potatoes in the oven to make Twice Baked Potatoes for the freezer. Many times here lately I just cook my potatoes in the electric pressure cooker. However, on my freezer meal prep day, both my Instant Pot and 14 qt electric pressure cooker were busy cooking big batches of meat in bulk. Because of this, I decided to just bake big pans of potatoes in the oven instead.
Yes, 40 lbs of Twice Baked Potatoes is a lot! Naomi and I had fun making the filling and stuffing the potatoes together. Plus the entire family has loved having Twice Baked Potatoes in the freezer. It’s not a side dish I normally make because daily life is very full. With these in the freezer, we had them for side items several times. We also had them as an entire lunch meal a few times as well. And here we are over 8 weeks since I made these Twice Baked Potatoes for the freezer and we still have several bags left.
I had Zion wash and scrub the potatoes for us. Then I pierced them, rub them in some olive oil, and baked them at 350 degrees for an hour and 15 minutes. I wasn’t able to get any farther with processing the potatoes the day I baked them. I filled large 11 x 19 pans with the baked potatoes and saved them for the following day.
On day two of my freezer cooking when I made freezer meals for dayzzzz, Naomi and I made the Twice Baked Potatoes and flash frozen them. Then on day three (it all runs together, haha) we wrapped each potato and froze several in many gallon freezer bags.
Twice Baked Potatoes for the Freezer – Freezer Meals Recipes for Large Families!
Enjoy Twice Baked Potatoes for the freezer as a side dish for large family meals or even for a meal themselves!
- 40 lbs of baked potatoes
- 5 cups melted butter
- 5 cups milk
- 24 oz of cream cheese
- 5 cups of shredded cheese (for filling)
- 5 cups of additional shredded cheese to top potatoes
- Halve each baked potato
- scoop the center out of each potato (living a rim of solid potato still) and place into a large mixing bowl
- add in 5 cups of melted butter, 5 cups of milk, 24 oz of cream cheese, and 5 cups of shredded cheese into the large mixing bowl with the potato middles
- mix all above ingredients well with a hand mixer
- fill each potato shell with potato mixture
- top with a sprinkle of additional shredded cheese
- If eating same day bake on 375 degrees until hot and bubbly
- Further freezer meal directions below
FREEZER MEAL DIRECTIONS
- Place filled potatoes on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Put the pans in the freezer for up to two hours to flash freeze. You can see in my picture below how I layered my potatoes on large metal pans.
- After you flash freeze wrap each potato in plastic wrap and fill gallon size freezer bags. We filled at least 10-gallon size bags of Twice Baked Potatoes!
- Set out a bag from the freezer into the refrigerator to completely defrost.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Remove plastic wrap and place potatoes on a baking tray
- Let bake for 20-30 minutes until hot and bubbly
I hope you enjoy this HUGE Twice Baked Potatoe recipe that’s certainly large family style! You can see me make this recipe in FREEZER MEALS FOR DAYZZZZZ! Bulk Cooking for a Large Family.