?Get the Best-Selling Large Family Freezer Meals Collection here! Use promo code HELLO20 to take 20% off your first order.
Affiliate links are used in this post for some of my fav products. Here’s my full discloser policy.
When it’s zucchini season, you can find them in abundance for cheap everywhere making this a frugal yet healthy meal for a large family. The taco lovers in the house will cheer when they see beef enchilada stuffed zucchini boats on the menu. You will love how easy and cheap they are to make. Bonus that they are THM-S (that means low carb and Keto friendly) plus a gluten-free dinner as well (check ingredients on taco seasoning). This large family recipe makes two 9×13 pans to feed your family on your next Taco Tuesday!
To make these Beef Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats you start by washing and drying your zucchini. A simple vegetable brush will be fine especially if they are garden fresh. Slice the zucchini length-wise then gently scoop out the middle with a spoon. You will need to leave about 1/2 an inch or so on the inside to create the boat feature. Lightly brush olive oil over inside of the zucchini boat and sprinkle with pepper. Hop over to the Large Family Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats to see pics of how this is done. Bonus that you get another recipe for all that zucchini. Note: if you want soft zucchini then pop them in the oven here for about 5 to 10 minutes while you cook the ground beef.
In a large skillet, add ground chuck and onion. Cook until the beef is browned and the onion is soft. The onion is soft when it turns translucent. Drain.
Return onion/beef mixture to the skillet and add the taco seasoning along with 1 cup of the enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
Spoon the mixture into the zucchini boats, pressing mixture down as you go. This step is great for little helpers to help. Have them pile the extra mixture on top until the boats are mounded and overflowing slightly. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top then smother it with cheese. There is no such thing as too much cheese in a recipe. Little people can pile on cheese really well. With a total of 6 zucchinis cut and halved, making 12 “boats,” you should fill two 9×13 baking dishes for this large family recipe.
After your kitchen helpers have sufficiently cheesed the Beef Enchilada Zucchini Boats, pop them in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is brown and melty and the zucchini is tender.
While they are baking in the oven, you can put out some sour cream, salsa, or guacamole for the toppings if you want. Beef Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats are good all by themselves but Mexican toppings make them over the top delicious. A frugal tip for buying sour cream for toppings is to buy plain Greek yogurt. It has all the taste but at half the cost! You can even make a batch in the Instant Pot for even more savings. I like to serve it on a bed of greens to make it super healthy or with some fiesta corn.
Large Family Recipes
In addition to this Large Family Beef Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini
- Large Family Cabbage Lasagna Freezer Meal Recipe – Low Carb, Keto, THM – S
- Large Family Chicken, Sausage, and Vegetable Sheet Pan Dinner Recipe
- Easy Large Family Dinner | Baked Parmesan Ranch Chicken Leg Quarters
- 40+ SIMPLE AND EASY LARGE FAMILY OVEN DINNERS
Meatloavesalso freezer friendly!
- Chicken and Vegetable Baked Egg Rolls Freezer Meal| Feeding a Large Family
Large Family Beef Enchilada Zucchini Boats | THM S, Low Carb, Keto, GF
This large family style Beef Enchilada Zucchini Boats recipe is THM S, Low Carb, Keto, and Gluten Free (as always for Gluten Free read the product labels especially on the taco seasoning). This healthy recipe makes two 9×13 baking dishes full. Each 9×13 dish holds about 6 zucchini halves. Serve with sour cream, salsa and guacamole on a bed of fresh greens or with fiesta corn as a side.
- 6 zucchini
- 2 pound ground chuck
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 (19 ounce) cans red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the middle of the vegetable with a spoon leaving about 1/2 inch along the outside creating a “boat.” Lightly brush olive oil all over the inside of the zucchini boat and sprinkle with pepper. NOTE: If you prefer the zucchini to be soft when serving, bake the zucchini boat for 5 to 10 minutes prior to stuffing.
- In a large skillet, add the ground chuck and onion. Cook until the beef is brown and the onion is translucent soft. Drain.
- Return beef mixture to skillet and add taco seasoning plus 1 cup of the enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Spoon the mixture into the zucchini boats pressing down as you go. Pile extra mixture on top until the boats are slightly mounded and overflowing slightly. Add the remaining enchilada sauce then top with cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbly and the zucchini is tender.
Keywords: large family recipes, zucchini, low carb, Keto, Trim Healthy Mama
And while you’re here don’t forget to pick up the full (and free) large family food collection!!