Let’s take a minute and think back to our childhoods. How many of you LOVED when your mom made ham and beans? I know I did! It’s time to take it up a notch though because these Instant Pot Navy Beans and Ham are fire. They are so good and the whole family will enjoy them. This recipe is Instant Pot and Slow Cooker friendly, so you can make it no matter what you have on hand.
*Use special promo code HELLO20 to take 20% off your first order in the shop including the SUPER MEGA ULTIMATE Large Family Freezer Meals Bundle here!**
Instant Pot Navy Beans and Ham
If you’ve never tried ham and beans with Navy Beans, you are going to change your mind. Navy beans are so yummy, but they also have a lot of nutritional value. A really fun tidbit about Navy beans says that “In Australia, navy bean production began during World War II when it became necessary to find an economical way of supplying a nutritious food to the many troops—especially American troops—based in Queensland.” (source)
Ingredients for Instant Pot Navy Beans and Ham
If you’re going to take the time to make this recipe, you may be wondering what delicious ingredients help to make it. Honestly, all of the ingredients in here help make it one of the best meals on this blog.
- Cooked Ham – You can find cooked ham right in the meat section at the store. It’s fairly inexpensive, which is another reason I like this meal. You might even try making Ham in the Instant Pot and using what is left over for this meal.
- Dry Navy Beans – If you’ve never used navy beans before, I’m going to walk you through it. Cooking these beans is fairly easy!
- Diced Tomatoes – I think this is what makes this recipe so unique! Using diced tomatoes makes me happy because it adds so much flavor.
- Olive Oil – This olive oil is going to help bring a lot of flavor to this meal.
You can see the recipe card for the complete list of ingredients in this meal. All of the ingredients are nutritious, which makes me want to make this meal more often for our large family table.
Slow Cooker Option
What if you don’t have a slow cooker but you still want to make this meal? An Instant Pot isn’t necessary to make Navy Beans and Ham. All you need to do for the slow cooker is to put all of the ingredients into it and place on low for six hours.
This is a great meal to start at the beginning of the day and then it’s done by the end of the day. I love making this on a Friday afternoon. When we’re all tired from the week, we can sit down and enjoy a nice meal together. Plus, you can easily have tons of leftovers!
How to Store & Freeze
What happens if you make this meal but you have tons of leftovers? Navy Beans and Ham is so easy to store in the fridge if you have an airtight container. Just eat within 3-5 days.
If you plan on freezing it, then you will need to make sure it’s in a proper container for freezing. It can stay in the freezer for up to six months.
Try more of our delicious soups and bean recipes!
- Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
- Pinto Beans in the Instant Pot
- Jamerrill’s Beans, Rice and Cornbread Recipe
- Ham Potato and 5 Bean Soup
- 5 Bean Soup Gift in Jar and Printable
Instant Pot Navy Beans and HamPrint
Try something new for your next weeknight dinner with this Instant Pot Navy Beans and Ham meal. It’s nutritious and delicious.
- 3 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry navy beans
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Using the saute mode, heat the electric pressure cooker until “hot.” Drizzle the olive oil into the pot. Add the carrots, onion, and celery. Cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic.
Dump the remaining ingredients into the pot of the electric pressure cooker.
Place the lid on the electric pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing. Set the pressure cooker to “manual” or “pressure cook” for 90 minutes. Allow a 10-minute natural release of pressure when the cook cycle is complete.
Gently stir the ingredients together and serve.
For the slow cooker:
Dump all ingredients into a slow cooker. Toss together.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Keywords: Instant Pot Navy Beans and Ham
You will be glad for this hearty and delicious recipe. Not only is it packed full of protein and flavor it is easy to make. Keep it handy as you’re sure to want this one in your regular meal rotation!
5-Day Freezer Cooking Challenge with Jamerrill!
- FREE Freezer Cooking Quick Start Guide 17-page PDF with grocery list, recipes, full freezer cooking plan, cheat sheets, More!
- I WILL HELP YOU fill your freezer with 10+ freezer meals including breakfast, lunches, & dinners!
- Any family size or dietary needs can easily accommodate and follow along!