Have you been craving something delicious lately? I have! I’m always looking for something filling to make for my family and that’s why I’m excited about this Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice meal. This filling recipe is sure to be a hit with your whole family!
**Use special promo code HELLO20 to take 20% off your first order in the shop including the SUPER MEGA ULTIMATE Large Family Freezer Meals Bundle here!**
Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
I can’t tell you how many times I have made beans and rice for the family, but this is one of the first times I’ve used red beans. I have to say that red beans are a new family favorite! Our family always enjoys it when I make Rice, Beans, and Cornbread and this low carb cornbread recipe is an excellent side, too. So be sure to check those recipes out.
Nutrition of Red Beans
When you are cooking for your family, you want it to be semi-healthy! I enjoy the fact that red beans are very nutritious. Red beans contain calcium, magnesium, and potassium and that can help control blood pressure. Not to mention they taste great. Of course, you know I’m a huge fan of using what you have on hand so if you need to substitute that’s just fine too.
Ingredients in Red Beans and Rice Recipe
I like to talk about the main ingredients of a recipe. The main ingredients are the most fun part of cooking any meal. I typically buy most of these ingredients in bulk, which means I can make this meal at any time.
- Cajun sausage – You can buy this type of sausage in bulk just like you can any other sausage.
- Cooked ham – With this recipe, you are sure to get lots of protein inside of your kids! I love cubed ham in this recipe.
- Small red beans – This is going to help bring the whole meal together and even bring in some nutrition to the meal.
- Seasonings – Trust me, you’re going to want the seasonings in this meal. It truly makes this meal what it is, so delicious! Your large family table is going to experience seasoning tonight!
Go ahead and make this dish and watch your family fall in love with it. It’s nutritious but full of flavor, which makes it a family favorite.
How to Make Instant Pot Beans and Rice in the Slow Cooker
One thing I love about this meal is that you can make it in the slow cooker as well as the Instant Pot. When you go to make this meal in the slow cooker, you are going to put everything but the rice in the slow cooker. Go ahead and cover on low for 6-8 hours. You will want to cook until those beans are tender.
This is an excellent dish to make when you want something filling for dinner. My whole family goes crazy whenever I make this. Just don’t forget to take out the bay leaf at the end as that is for flavoring!
How to Store Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
Once you’ve made this dish, you may want storage options. I always choose an airtight container that is large enough to fit the leftovers. Place it in the fridge and use within 3-5 days. Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice is one of those meals that taste better after being in the fridge. My taste buds always get excited for this meal!
Here’s more Instant Pot recipes your family will enjoy!
- Large Family Instant Pot Pad Thai
- Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna
- Instant Pot chicken and dumplings
- Instant Pot Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken Sliders Recipe
Instant Pot Red Beans and RicePrint
It’s time to try out something new in your Instant Pot or slow cooker. This Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice is so delicious, give it a go.
- 1 (16 ounce) package small red beans, sorted and rinsed
- 2 to 3 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1 to 2 (12 ounce) packages andouille/cajun sausage (I used 24 oz of Jimmy Dean Sausage because that’s what I had on hand)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 to 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- Sliced green onion, for garnish
Using the saute mode, heat the electric pressure cooker until “hot.” Drizzle the olive oil into the pot. Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until it begins to soften. Stir in the garlic.
To the pressure cooker pot, add the beans, ham, sausage, broth, seasonings, and bay leaves. Stir together. Pour the tomatoes on top and do not stir again.
Place the lid on the electric pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing. Set the pressure cooker to “manual” or “pressure cook” for 40 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release when the cook cycle is complete.
Stir the pot and remove the bay leaves. Serve over rice and garnish with sliced green onion if desired.
For the slow cooker:
Place everything for the rice into the slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until the beans are tender.
Remove the bay leaves and serve over rice.
I’m sure your family will enjoy this hearty meal! Add a dessert, like our Low Carb Peanut Butter Mousse and this meal will spread even farther.
5-Day Freezer Cooking Challenge with Jamerrill!
- FREE Freezer Cooking Quick Start Guide 17-page PDF with grocery list, recipes, full freezer cooking plan, cheat sheets, More!
- I WILL HELP YOU fill your freezer with 10+ freezer meals including breakfast, lunches, & dinners!
- Any family size or dietary needs can easily accommodate and follow along!