Ground Beef Tater Tot Casserole
Have you ever thought about a dish and you couldn’t wait to try it? That’s how this Ground Beef Tater Tot Casserole. Whenever I start craving it, I just can’t wait to make it and feed my whole family with it. This casserole is legit delicious and you won’t regret making it for your family.
Ground Beef Tater Tot Casserole
I love making ground beef recipes for a large family because it’s truly so easy. You can take ground beef out of the freezer and it will be unthawed by the end of the day. It will be unthawed just in time to make dinner, too!
What is a Casserole?
A casserole is created when you use a large pan that has deep sides. There are all kinds of casseroles made. Here are over 75 easy casseroles that freeze well! You can find breakfast casseroles that are mostly made with eggs. You can also find casseroles made with pasta, veggies, ground beef, or even chicken. There is truly no end when it comes to the amount of options for making a casserole.
Ingredients for Beef Tater Tot Casserole
If you’re going to spend time making a dish for your family, you want to know what ingredients are in it. While not everything I make for the family is super healthy, it is nice when some of the ingredients are healthy!
- Ground beef – When you’re feeding a large family, you need a good protein. You can use ground beef to make this meal and everyone will love it. (Here is my recipe for CHICKEN Tater Tot Casserole that’s also large family style!)
- Onion – Adding flavor to a meal is easy when you add onion. I thoroughly enjoy adding onion to my large meal because you can’t get flavor like this from any other vegetable.
- Peas & carrots – I have a good time making this casserole because I know my family is actually getting a lot of veggies in them. This recipe calls for frozen veggies but they are equally delicious and nutritious.
- Worcestershire sauce – Another way to add flavor to your meals is to use worcestershire sauce. You can buy it fairly cheap and the flavor is phenomenal.
You can check out the rest of the ingredients in the recipe card. Each ingredient will help bring this Beef Tater Tot Casserole together. Trust me, when I say it’s delicious because it is!
How to Make Ground Beef Tater Tot Casserole
Don’t be intimidated when it comes to a casserole. In fact, casseroles are one of my favorite meals to feed my family because it’s one dish. You don’t have to worry about sides, unless you want to. You get the protein and veggies and carbs all in one dish. Delicious!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare two 9×13 casserole dishes with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the onion over medium high heat until the meat is crumbled. Stir in the garlic, salt and pepper. Drain well.
- Return the meat to the skillet (if large enough or a large bowl) and add the cream cheese, stirring until melted. Add the milk and peas and carrots. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer the ground beef mixture to the casserole dishes, dividing equally. Top with cheese and a layer of tater tots.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the tater tots are browned and the edges bubble.
- There are also additional directions below on how to freeze Beef Tater Tot Casserole!
As you can see, this dish isn’t intimidating to me, actually quite easy and very tasty!
How to Freeze Ground Beef Tater Tot Casserole
Cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before baking. Just like other dishes that I make, I like to make 2-3 at a time because I can freeze one for later. If you just want to store this dish, place it in an airtight container. From there, you can place it in the fridge and it’ll stay fresh for 3-5 days.
This recipe itself makes two 9×13 pans and is very freezer friendly!! Are you excited to try this recipe?Print
Do you want to feed your large family? You’ll want to try this LARGE FAMILY BEEF TATER TOT CASSEROLE RECIPE (Two 9×13 pans! + Freezer Friendly!!)
4 pounds ground chuck
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup milk
2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 cups frozen tater tots
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare two 9×13 casserole dishes with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the onion over medium high heat until the meat is crumbled. Stir in the garlic, salt and pepper. Drain well.
Return the meat to the skillet (if large enough or a large bowl) and add the cream cheese, stirring until melted. Add the milk and peas and carrots. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
Transfer the ground beef mixture to the casserole dishes, dividing equally. Top with cheese and a layer of tater tots.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the tater tots are browned and the edges bubble.
FREEZER MEAL DIRECTIONS: To make one or both of these 9×13 pans of Beef Tater Tot Casserole into a freezer meal just prepare as above following steps 1 through 4. Instead of baking at step 5 just wrap one or both casseroles in a double-layer of foil followed by plastic cling wrap (& label your meal!). Place in the freezer for 3+ months.
When you’d like to use this easy freezer meal just pull it from your freezer stash the night before and place it in your refrigerator to defrost. At cooking time remove the plastic wrap and foil. Reuse one sheet of foil to lightly tent over your cassorole. Place in a preheated oven at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes or until the tater tots are browned and edges bubble.
NOTE: your baking time may need to be increased in 15 minute increments until desired doneness is reached based on the defrosted level of your cassorole. Always make sure food researched on internal temperature of at least 165. A cheap digital thermometer helps with this!
Keywords: Tater Tot Casserole, Freezer Meals, Freezer Cooking
Easy Casseroles That Freeze Well
Don’t forget to check out these 75+ Casseroles that freeze well. Lots of favorites listed!