When you want a savory dish that will keep you warm, the Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Stew is the recipe for you. It has the flavor that you would expect from your favorite stuffed peppers, only in the form of a hearty stew. Stews are so helpful in large family meal planning and feeding a big crowd of your people!
Do you love stuffed peppers and soups/stews? If they are some of your favorite foods, you will enjoy the Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Stew. And for a total bonus, it’s a dairy-free recipe as long as you leave off the cheese garnish! You can have a bowl of this stew along with some French bread on a cold day when you want something to fill you up and keep you feeling comfortably warm. The stew consists of several tasty ingredients, including ground beef, green and red bell peppers, beef broth, and tomato sauce. The naturally great taste of this dish will leave you wanting to come back for seconds and thirds! You’ll definitely want to add it to your weekly meal plan especially since you can make it ahead of time and freeze it for later.
***Use special promo code HELLO20 to take 20% off your first order in the shop including the SUPER MEGA ULTIMATE Large Family Freezer Meals Bundle here!**
The Ingredients You Need to Make the Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Stew
Certain ingredients are essential to have when you want to make this simple yet delicious Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Stew. It would help if you had the following ingredients ready to use:
- Ground Beef. Use ground beef to make this stew meaty and delicious. The ground beef commonly gets added to the peppers when preparing traditional stuffed peppers, so it is such an essential ingredient to use in this dish.
- Green Bell Peppers. Remove the seeds and slice your green peppers down into pieces to prepare this stew.
- Red Bell Pepper. Like the green bell pepper, remove the seeds and slice it down before adding it to your slow cooker.
- Tomato Sauce. Use the tomato sauce to create a base for your peppers and ground beef.
- Beef Broth. Create a stew-like consistency by adding beef broth into the slow cooker with the ground beef, peppers, and tomato sauce.
- Brown Sugar. Using brown sugar is a great way to give the stew a slight hint of sweetness without making it too sweet.
- Cooked Rice. You will need cooked rice to add to the slow cooker with all your other ingredients. You can make Instant Pot Brown Rice or use Cauliflower Rice, too.
You will need garlic powder, sliced onion, diced tomatoes, water, salt, and black pepper to complete the stew along with the ingredients mentioned above.
How to Freeze the Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Stew as a Make-Ahead Meal
Freezing meals is a great way to stock your freezer with ready to go meals for a later time. It’s a huge time-saver! To freeze this meal, place all ingredients EXCEPT the rice into an airtight container and freeze up to 6 months. Defrost before you need to cook this recipe for a meal. Once defrosted place all ingredients in a large slow cooker and follow the cooking directions listed below in the recipe card.
Store your Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Stew in a food container with a lid after you’ve made it. You can keep it for up to four days in the fridge.
Variations of the Stuffed Pepper Stew
You can always make a few changes to the ingredients used to prepare the Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Stew. For example, you can use a different type of meat if you do not want to use ground beef. Both ground chicken and ground turkey are leaner options that still taste good.
If you do not want to use white rice, you could always use brown rice or riced cauliflower when preparing the stew. You may want to add a bit of shredded mozzarella cheese or your favorite type of cheese to the dish for even more flavor.
Here are more large family soups and stews your family will enjoy!
- Quinoa Tortellini Sausage Soup
- Thai Coconut Peanut Stew
- Easy Homemade Family Chili Recipe
- Low Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- Low Carb Bacon Chicken Stew
- Here are more Soup Recipes to try and Bread to go with your soup.
Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper StewPrint
When you want a savory dish that will keep you warm, the Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Stew is the recipe for you. It has the flavor that you would expect from your favorite stuffed peppers, only in the form of a hearty stew.
- 4 pounds lean ground beef (precook)
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups cooked rice
Optional: Garnish with shredded cheese.
Prepare a large slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium-high heat, breaking it apart as it browns. Drain well and place the ground beef into the slow cooker.
Stir in all the ingredients EXCEPT the rice.
Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours.
With 30 minutes left to cook, gently stir in the rice. Recover and continue to cook the remaining 30 minutes.
Garnish the soup with shredded cheese, if desired.
TO FREEZE place all ingredients EXCEPT the rice into an airtight container and freeze up to 6 months. Defrost before you need to cook this recipe for a meal. Once defrosted place all ingredients in a large slow cooker and follow the cooking directions above.
This recipe calls for use of an 8 qt to 10 qt slow cooker.
Keywords: Large Family Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Stew
FREE Emergency Pantry Planning Pack!
Don’t forget to sign up for the emergency pantry planning pack for free to help you plan your pantry meals! The free Emergency Pantry Planning Pack will help you plan your needed pantry items! Printable pages include pantry inventory, grocery lists, meal planners, list of pantry staple items, and more.