Make a sweet breakfast that will taste more like dessert with these delicious Large Family Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Icing. If you love red velvet cake or my Red Velvet Donuts, these pancakes will quickly become a favorite in your household!
Red velvet donuts or cake are delicious desserts, especially when you have them with a cream cheese frosting. If it is your favorite, you will enjoy this recipe for Large Family Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Icing. You can turn your favorite sweets into a tasty breakfast to serve on the side with sausage, bacon, hash browns, or my easy baked eggs in the oven. If you follow this recipe, you can make plenty of pancakes for the entire family to eat.
*Use special promo code HELLO20 to take 20% off your first order in the shop including the SUPER MEGA ULTIMATE Large Family Freezer Meals Bundle here!**
The Ingredients to Use When Making the Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Icing
Before following this recipe, make sure you have the required ingredients and optional kitchen tools. You will need to have:
- All-Purpose Flour. Make your pancakes from scratch using all-purpose flour for the batter.
- Powdered Sugar. Add powdered sugar to give your pancakes a sweet taste.
- Unsweetened Cocoa. The unsweetened cocoa gives the red velvet pancakes their rich taste.
- Baking Soda. Make sure your pancakes turn out as fluffy as possible by adding a bit of baking soda into the mix.
- Granulated Sugar. Use at least a ½ cup of granulated sugar in your pancake mix.
- Red Food Coloring. Give your pancakes that beautiful red color by adding red food coloring to the mix.
You will need just a few other ingredients, including baking powder, salt, buttermilk, and eggs. When preparing the cream cheese icing to go over the pancakes, you will need the following ingredients:
- Cream Cheese. Use any brand of cream cheese. You will need an 8 oz. package of the cheese.
- Unsalted Butter. Leave the butter out to allow it to get soft before mixing it with the cream cheese.
- Vanilla. Add a small amount of vanilla to the cream cheese and butter mixture.
- Powdered Sugar. Give your icing a sweet taste by adding powdered sugar to it.
- Milk. Use two tablespoons of traditional milk in this recipe.
You can make the icing for the pancakes in minutes. It tastes even better than using syrup on these pancakes.
How to Make-Ahead and Freeze Red Velvet Pancakes
If you have leftover Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Icing, place the icing in a plastic food container with a lid and put it in the fridge. Put your pancakes in a large Ziploc freezer bag and keep them refrigerated for up to three days.
To freeze pancakes, place them in a freezer-friendly bag or container after they have cooled placing a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper between each pancake. Your pancakes and icing will stay good for up to six months!
To reheat them, you can pop them in the microwave on stacks of two or three for 1-2 minutes. If you want to make a whole batch at once place them on a sheet pan and reheat in the oven at 350 or until warm.
What Can I Make With a Pancake Recipe?
Pancakes are great all by themselves, but sometimes you want to change it up a bit or add something else. Here is my Make-ahead Tutti Frutti Pancake Muffins that combine pancakes and muffins. Also, my Sheet Pan Breakfast Sandwiches are made with pancakes instead of rolls or biscuits. Maybe you want to start your day with a Pancake Party just for fun! Be sure to also see my 25+ Breakfast Make-ahead Freezer meals: Breakfast Cookies, Pumpkin Pancakes, and French Toast Sticks.
Here are my other varieties of pancakes your large family will enjoy!
- Large Family Sheet Pan Pancakes (with optional chocolate chips)
- Cooking with Kids: Elephant Pancakes
- Fun Recipes with Kids: Lion Face Pancakes
- Large Family Pumpkin Pancakes
- Blueberry Pancakes
- Chocolate Chip Freezer Pancakes
Where can I find more large family breakfast recipes?
These Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Icing are a delicious breakfast treat for your large family! I know it may seem easier to buy pre-made breakfast items, but you can save lots of time and money just by making breakfast ahead of time! You can find tons of healthy and simple breakfast recipes in my Breakfast Freezer Meals Pack, it’s number 10 in my Large Family Freezer Meals Series. It includes 10 amazing breakfast recipes with directions to help you make 25 breakfast meals to put in your freezer!
Large Family Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese IcingPrint
Make a sweet breakfast that will taste more like dessert with these delicious Large Family Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Icing. If you love red velvet cake, these pancakes will quickly become a favorite in your household!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 to 4 tablespoons red liquid food coloring
- Cream cheese frosting, if desired
- Powdered Sugar, if desired
Preheat the griddle to 350 degrees.
Using a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, powdered sugar, cocoa, baking powder, salt and sugar.
Using a smaller bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and red food coloring.
Gradually mix the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not mix the batter until completely smooth, your pancakes will not be tender.
Pour ¼ cup batter onto the prepared griddle or skillet, cooking until bubbles cover the top of the pancake and the edge looks dry and cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the pancake and continue to cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from the griddle and keep warm.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, combine the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla, stirring until well blended. Stir in the powdered sugar and then add the milk a little at a time until reaching the desired consistency.
Serve with the cream cheese frosting and/or garnish the top of the pancakes with powdered sugar if desired.
Keywords: Large Family Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Icing for Topping
These pretty and delicious pancakes are a fun morning surprise for the whole family. Enjoy them fresh, or freeze them for a busy morning.
FREE Emergency Pantry Planning Pack!
Don’t forget to sign up for the emergency pantry planning pack for free to help you plan your pantry meals! The free Emergency Pantry Planning Pack will help you plan your needed pantry items! Printable pages include pantry inventory, grocery lists, meal planners, list of pantry staple items, and more.